Thursday, February 03, 2005
Fantastic Day at School
I had a really wonderful day at school today:
- Only ONE student misbehaved so severely that I need to meet with her
mother. I've been dealing for an average of 3 calls to homes per day.
- The student who shouted out "I HATE YOU" in the middle of class
wrote me an apology letter, had a fantastic meeting with the principal
and I, and even admitted that I am actually her favorite
teacher.
- I had a good mentor-like chat with my principal today - it is clear
that she has many years of wisdom dealing with students, and likes to
cut through the crap to talk about how to help a situation. She has a
very busy schedule, but is somehow available as a support when I've
needed her. I'm so glad to have a helpful boss once again (she
reminds me a lot of Moira in many ways).
- Two students asked me if they could stay after-school for extra help
with the math content. I was floored: these were not two girls I
would expect that from. I can't believe cared anough to be proactive.
I felt like I got through to them, and that they even enjoyed
learning with me. (god forbid!)
- I'm exhausted, but not frustrated or gloomy. I feel optomistic,
excited, and proud to be a part of my new school. I know I have had
this thought before (about nearly every job I've been in), but this
truly does feel like a great fit for me at this point in life.
- I got a burrito at Senora on the way home - that will make my night perfect.
- Only ONE student misbehaved so severely that I need to meet with her
mother. I've been dealing for an average of 3 calls to homes per day.
- The student who shouted out "I HATE YOU" in the middle of class
wrote me an apology letter, had a fantastic meeting with the principal
and I, and even admitted that I am actually her favorite
teacher.
- I had a good mentor-like chat with my principal today - it is clear
that she has many years of wisdom dealing with students, and likes to
cut through the crap to talk about how to help a situation. She has a
very busy schedule, but is somehow available as a support when I've
needed her. I'm so glad to have a helpful boss once again (she
reminds me a lot of Moira in many ways).
- Two students asked me if they could stay after-school for extra help
with the math content. I was floored: these were not two girls I
would expect that from. I can't believe cared anough to be proactive.
I felt like I got through to them, and that they even enjoyed
learning with me. (god forbid!)
- I'm exhausted, but not frustrated or gloomy. I feel optomistic,
excited, and proud to be a part of my new school. I know I have had
this thought before (about nearly every job I've been in), but this
truly does feel like a great fit for me at this point in life.
- I got a burrito at Senora on the way home - that will make my night perfect.