Thursday, May 19, 2005
My Bones
My big right toe (the ugly one - perhaps I should post a picture?) was broken while I was swimming in Mexico. Apparently, the bone fused together, creating a situation where I cannot bend it at the joint. The podiatrist gave me orthodics ($200 for little pieces of plastic!) and expects me to wear them for the rest of my life.
My right knee has been bothering me a lot when I jog - I have been feeling a lot of pain, making it difficult to climb stairs afterwards. I saw Dr. Busch about this, and he explained that my patella is rubbing against my femur. This is not a very unusual problem, but he did tell me that I should limit my runs to under 6 miles. He also suggested I pick other activities. I'm pretty upset, since in the back of my mind, I had hoped to train for a half-marathon, and perhaps even a marathon. I suppose I never will.
I am willing to try triathalons, but I need to muster the motivation first.
Even at 27, my body is not bouncing back like it used to when I was in high school. The larger issue here is that I am starting to feel old. (!)